Elsys Instrument Driver for NI LabVIEW
LabVIEW from National Instruments is one of the most used and known software for measurement and regulation applications. There are several ways to integrate 3rd part hardware like Elsys data acquisition modules or TraNET instruments into LabView. The most comfortable way is to use the LabVIEW Instrument Driver.
Possibilities to integrate 3rd part hardware in LabVIEW
- Embedding an API over low level DLL access methods: With this method every library can be used in LabVIEW with the drawback
that very good and deep knowledge of the library are necessary.
- Using IVI drives: IVI drivers are available for different device types, for example scopes or
multimeter. IVI drivers have a defined structure and functionality and so applications based on IVI
driver can use hardware from different manufacturer without changing the source code. But often
application based on IVI driver can not fully benefit of all the available features and strength of the hardware as the functionality is limited.
- LabVIEW Instrument Drivers: These types of drivers are fully integrated into LabVIEW. The usage of 3rd part instrument drivers differs only slightly from NI drivers. Complex configuration tasks can be packed into VI's by the manufacturer which simplifies the handling of the driver.
LabVIEW Instrument Driver
Elsys provides a LabVIEW instrument driver which is fully compliant with the NI driver design guidelines. The instrument drivers provides the following advantages:
- Ready-made measurement flow-control VI's for scope, multliblock, continuous and ECR measurement modes
- Express VI's for amplifier and trigger settings
- VI's for data readout
- Express VI's for setup the connection to the modules/instruments
The Elsys TraNET VI Set in LabVIEW
A simple scope example in LabVIEW implemented with the LabVIEW instrument drivers
A multi block recording visualized in 3D